Review: Preschool Prep Co.



When my friend told me that her daughter, who is 5 months younger than Jaydan, is able to read some sight words, I was shocked and at the same time, panicked. Jaydan still did not know how to recognise alphabets yet!
So, the first thing that popped out of my mouth was, "How did you teach her?!" To my surprised, she told me that she let her daughter watched the DVD by Preschool Prep Co. and that was how she learnt. Immediately, I purchased almost the whole set of Preschool Prep Co. products from USA in July 2013.


This is an introduction of the products by Preschool Prep Co.

The items arrived in about a month time.

1) 10 DVDs

2) 4 Board Books

3) 4 Lift the Flap Books

4) 5 boxes of Flashcards

5) 2 Workbooks (Letters, numbers, shapes and colours, and Sight Words)

6) 3 sets of Sight Word Easy Reader Books


These items cost a bomb and I was telling myself, it would sure be worthy! I could just turn on the television, put the DVD in and play for my son! Best thing is, while he is watching, I could do my work too!
(P.S. Previously purchased Brillkids and I didn't really utilise it as it requires a lot of time and effort from the parents' side to sit in front of the computer with the kids.... Hence, it became a white elephant.)

At that time, he was almost 2 years old. I on the DVD on Letters, Numbers and Shapes for him.
I was so disappointed when he just walked away with no interest at them, at all! I was like....... Erm... Why my friend's daughter could stay still and watch and learn at 1 year old but he can't...! I was so disappointed, but I did not give up!

I took out the board books and tried to get his attention... and, I did.... for a while only... After flipping through them, he did not even give me a chance to talk! He just put them aside and did other things....... FAILED AGAIN!!!!

Inside of Shapes Board Book
Inside of Vowels Board Book
Inside of Colours Board Book
Inside of Numbers Board Book
Then I tried the Lift a Flap book.. FINALLY!!!! It caught Jaydan's attention and we started our learning journey from then. The rest of the items became white elephants in the cupboard for about a year. Well.. At least J learnt his shapes using the Lift a Flap book in about 3 months' time and numbers 1 to 10 too!

The best part of the Lift a Flap books of Shapes, Colours and Numbers is that they have a summary at the last page of all the shapes and numbers for revision!

Summary from Numbers, Shapes and Colours Lift a Flap Books
Fast forward to end of 2014........

Jaydan found the box of DVDs from my cupboard, so he got interested in something "new" and asked me to on the DVD on Letters for him.... From that day on, he fall in love with Preschool Prep DVDs!!! 
He learnt his alphabets within few months with the combination of the flashcards from Preschool Prep... And now, the flashcards finally get to see the lights! I used the flashcards of colours, shapes and numbers for revision too!!!

Express fast forward to beginning 2015.....

Now he knows his alphabets, numbers, shapes and colours, we started him on the sight words DVD. He immediately fall in love with it! And within 3 months, he learnt at least half of the words inside the 3 sight words DVDs! I am very satisfied already! On top of that, he watched the Phonics Sounds DVD and it helps him to catch up on what the school is teaching (He missed a lot of school as he fall sick quite often...).... It is super helpful! Now, he knows all his letter sounds and always play Sound Game with me! 
From the boxes of flashcards (Front and back)
Recently I started to take out the Set 1 of the Easy Reader books and started to read with Jaydan. I would leave the sight words for him to read while I read the rest. That is really an accomplishment! He is able to read most of the words in each book! 

Some of my personal opinion....

If you have very young kids that still do not know how to take care of books, do not let them have the Lift a Flap books unless you are with them. 
As for the board books, I don't think is necessary to get it unless you want something to entertain your young kids.
DVDs are very helpful and I think that they are very educational!
Flashcards wise, purchase it if you have the time to do revision with them. It is a good tool.
Easy Reader books are good and they re-enforce what they had learnt.
The workbooks I don't think is necessary as the shipping to SG would be ex due to its weight. Similar workbooks can be purchase from Popular.

You could preview part of the DVDs from Youtube before deciding whether to purchase or not... =)

Above are all my personal review and I am not being sponsored.. I purchased them using my own money... :P

No comments